This year I really wanted Canada Day to feel special to the twins since they actually recognize the flag now! I went out the day before thinking I will buy a bunch of flags and other Canada day decorations and put them up when they go to sleep. I went to 6+ stores and everyone was sold out! I ended up buying them two Canada themed children’s books to make myself feel better (Canada ABC and Moose). When I got home I thought not all is lost, we can still bake something together! And so we made cupcakes and when they slept I drew on maple leaves with red icing. It wasn’t quite the same as having real flags and decorations everywhere but needless to say they still had an awesome Canada Day weekend!
120g plain flour
120g caster sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
1 cup icing sugar
1, Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter and mix until the mixture resembles crumbs.
3. Beat the egg with the milk and pour over the flour mixture gradually until just incorporated. The mixture should be smooth but do not over-mix.
4. Fill the cupcake cases two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
5. Allow to cool before icing.
6. Mix icing sugar and water to desired consistency (N.B a little water goes a long way).
7. Cover the tops with a thin layer the white icing sugar and allow to harden.
Happy Birthday Canada xx